All About Bananas

All About Bananas

Bananas have many interesting facts about them like what their peel can do. The banana first originated in Kulk Valley of New Guinea around 8,000 BC where people first domesticated it.  The scientific name for the banana is Musa Sapientum which means “Fruit Of the Wise man.” More than 100 billion bananas are eaten per year. 

Bananas aren’t a tree but a very large herb. Bananas come in 4 different colors: blue, black, red, and yellow, the most common. It’s better not to eat more than 1 or 2 bananas a day. The type of banana you see in the supermarket is called Cavendish banana the preferred variety became extinct by 1960 called the Gros Michel which became extinct due to a fungus called the Panama disease. Bananas are also capable of floating because they are less dense in comparison to water. 

Some cultures use the fiber in the banana plant to make fabric and sometimes paper. Rubbing the banana oil from the peel on a mosquito bite (or other bug bites) or poison ivy will help keep it from itching and getting inflamed. 

The statistics of a banana are…

• More than 100 billion bananas are eaten every year in the world, making them the fourth most popular agricultural product.
  • Americans eat an average of 27 pounds of bananas per person every year.
  • More than 96 percent of American households buy bananas at least once a month.
  • 51 percent of bananas are eaten for breakfast at home.
  • The highest average per capita consumption of bananas in the world is in Ecuador, where residents eat an average of 218 pounds of bananas per person every year.

Bananas are very popular in the world with it being a very loved fruit.