Do Video Games Increase Reflex Speed?

Do Video Games Increase Reflex Speed?

Yes, I get it. Video games are entertaining, some might even say they are educational, but do they improve reflex speed? Some video games might increase reflex speed, and if playing the right game you might be able to use this excuse to play for longer (sorry parents/guardians).

Games like Minecraft, Mario Kart, Fortnite, and Tile hop make you put your reflexes to the test, with creepers sneaking up on you, blowing you off a cliff, someone sneaking up on you and trying to shoot you, or just needing to make sure the ball lands on the right tile, all using your reflexes. Video games can also help with hand-eye coordination and it is scientifically proven that people who regularly play video games have faster reflexes than people who don’t play video games. Video games affect your reflexes when you: Swipe. When you swipe quickly and suddenly you can improve your reaction time. Hand-eye coordination. Playing a fast game, you have to be prepared for sudden, seemingly out-of-nowhere occurrences, and be able to react quickly after you see whatever was sneaking up on you or something.

So there you have it. Exciting for kids who play video games, but pretty much the worst nightmare for parents. Video games actually teach you something. They teach you to react quickly, have better hand-eye coordination, and in some games, how to react efficiently