Brandy Melville and their Noninclusive Environment

Brandy Melville is a very popular minimalistic store, that is increasingly known by teenage girls. When asking a teenage girl her favorite clothing brand, the answer ‘Brandy’ is becoming increasingly more popular. The minimalist clothing brand consisting of cropped, simple designs is targeted toward girls ages 11-20.

Most of Brandy Melville’s sizes are ‘one size fits all’ but that does not include the plus-sized community or a variety of teenage girls. While Brandy is a very popular store, the CEO Stephen Marsan created a toxic environment where only “White, skinny, and pretty girls were allowed to model and work for him.” He also stated to his former Vice President of the business, “If she was black, if she was fat, he didn’t want them in the store.” So while Brandy may be popular, their community body shames and is racist.

One of Brandy’s popular stores is in Paris, France, and is known for its 2 feet wide door that’s meant to, “Keep plus size people out of their store.” A tourist visiting Paris trying to buy new clothes stated, “ I had to go in without my husband, leaving him outside, because he couldn’t fit through the overly small door.”

Insiders report that there is racial discrimination in stores toward customers and employees. A model that was hired for Brandy’s website was fired due to the color of her skin. The CEO of Brandy also sued one of Brandy Melville’s stores in North America for not following their norms. He stated that it was too “ghetto” and the guy working there was too “short and fat” to work at his store.

Overall Brandy is mostly a racist and shaming community that has unreasonable beauty standards for young teens.