Dress Code Opinions Vary

Students’ and teachers’ opinions vary on the need for uniforms at McAuliffe International School because Mr. Dennis, McAuliffe’s former principal, enforced school uniforms.

When asked if she thinks our school should have uniforms, a student named Charlie said, “Kind of.” However, a student named Chloe disagrees. She does not like the uniform at all. They said if there was one thing they would change about the uniform, it was the pants. Charlie said that the principal should let them wear any colored pants and Chloe just said they should add the color white. Both agreed that the uniform prevents kids from expressing themselves, and they also agreed that the teachers should also wear uniforms as well. Chloe is strongly against the uniforms and “likes nothing” about it. However, Charlie thinks that it’s comfy but she still doesn’t like it. Charlie also thinks it’s not as stressful to find clothes but Chloe thinks it is very stressful. 

One of our LA teachers, Mrs. Case said, “ I can see the good and the bad of the uniforms,” and then continued to list the pros and cons of the uniforms placed. Ms. Case and Ms. Cecilia both think that it is good that students can wake up and not have to worry or think about what they are going to wear, but at the same time she worries about the students in financial trouble. She also is annoyed since students can’t even wear blue jeans which upset some students.  She said she liked that the school uniforms can limit bullying, and research shows that uniforms reduce bullying by 30-50% which is little but still progress.                        

Mrs. Case continued to say, “ It’s more annoying than stressful to keep on telling kids ‘take off your jacket’ because you would think after the second or really first time I tell them they would get the message.” But most teachers think that they do have a uniform when in really they can wear whatever they want it just has to fit the lines of  “ Casual Business” Mrs. Case, however, thinks that the fact that students have to wear uniforms but teachers don’t is  more disappointing than anything, Mrs. Case is on the edge of if she would like to have a uniform because it would make her life easier since she has to teach so many classes, She thinks it would lift so much stress off her shoulders, but on the other hand it would limit her creativity which is really the only down point of uniforms. ( in her opinion ) Ms. Cecelia says out of all of the 260 students in McAuliffe 8th grade breaks it the most, they cut their McAuliffe shirts into crop tops to hide that they are breaking the dress code.

In conclusion, both sides of the dress code are equally provided with evidence, yet students still dislike it more.