Christmas Lawsuits

Christmas Lawsuits

Pop singer Mariah Carey faces yet another copyright lawsuit over her 1994 holiday smash “All I Want for Christmas Is You”.

Musician and country artist Andy Stone alongside Troy Powers, who co-wrote his 1989 version of “All I Want for Christmas Is You”, sued Mariah Carey on claims of copywriting infringement

It is claimed that Carey copied “the combination of the specific chord progression in the melody paired with the verbatim hook”, along with phrases and lyrics. According to Stone, Carey’s song was almost a clone in lyric choice and chord expression, copying his songs’ “compositional structure”.

Stone had first sued Carey in June of 2022, but the claim was dropped before it was resolved. Now, Stone is back and suing Carey once more over the holiday hit “All I Want for Christmas Is You”.

Carey’s song has hit the top 100 billboard charts every year since 2019 and has sold over 10 million copies. It is claimed that Carey’s widespread popularity and success were all due to Stone’s original idea. 

Stone and his partners are asking for $20 million dollars, declaring that they deserve credit for much of the song’s success.