Crested Butte Ski Resort

If you have never heard of Crested Butte, it is a ski resort located near Gunnison, CO. Crested Butte is great for people who are learning how to ski or are on the green/blue level. It comes with the Epic pass, which is the most used pass for Coloradans. Crested Butte is a great place to go on a vacation or just for a ski weekend and here is why.

One good thing about Crested Butte is usually not very crowded.  Their busiest weekends, such as President’s Day Weekend, usually have the same amount of people as a weekday at Vail. This may be because it is much smaller than most Vail-owned ski resorts, with an area of 0.83 square miles compared to Vail’s 4.72 square miles. It does not feel very small though because there are lots of trees that separate the slopes and make it feel large. 

Crested Butte is also at a much higher altitude than many other Colorado ski resorts. The peak of Crested Butte Mountain is 12,168 feet tall, whereas Breckenridge’s peak is 9,600 feet tall and Vail’s is 8,150. Some people like this because it does not melt the snow as easily, but others get altitude sickness. 

Lastly, Crested Butte has many comfortable restaurants in the Crested Butte town and in the village at the foot of the mountain. The town of Crested Butte is located about 3 miles away from the ski resort, about a fifteen-minute drive. It has many restaurants and is very picturesque. If you are very hungry and cannot wait, though, there are also lots of restaurants in the square at the bottom of the mountain. There are coffee shops, burger restaurants, and ice cream places. 

If you are looking for a great place to ski, Crested Butte is family-friendly and great for beginner skiers. It is so fun and there is always something new to try!