The Prom Easter Dress Trend

The Prom Easter Dress Trend

The “2024 Prom Easter Dress” trend has been going viral over social media. Prom in the US is usually held from late April to early June depending on your school, and female students typically wear a “traditional prom dress” which is usually a fun-colored long dress that has multiple different styles. Recently this year, some students have worn flowy dresses, with floral patterns and pastel colors. Other students have had mixed opinions about this new fashion trend, some argue that these dresses are an amazing way to embrace your style of prom, but some argue that they are too “casual” and not fitting to the prom stereotype of extravagance.

Videos going around of girls in floral and pastel dresses are getting lots of hate from a variety of people and other students. Some say that the dresses are untraditional and “ugly.” They argue that they are not fit for an important event like prom and that they should only be worn on a different event like Easter. Others comment on videos of this trend, and say things like “ These aren’t prom dresses. Looks like a church dress,” or “cute brunch outfits,” and “People who wear Easter dresses are just trying to be different,” Morell said. “Just wear a [traditional] prom dress like everyone else.” These hate comments have made people question the trend and others feel guilty about wearing “untraditional” dresses.

A different crowd of people who have a different, more friendly approach to this trend. This group of people are more welcoming to the students who decide to make a big fashion decision, they say things like “Wear what you want,” or “Why are we hating on young girls.” This more accepting crowd also realizes that these dresses could be directed towards people with a low price range who don’t want to spend thousands of dollars on a look. The average price range for prom dresses is $85-$700. Many people cannot afford these types of dresses. The new “Easter” dresses range from $60-$150 because they come from less expensive brands.

In my opinion, girls should be able to wear whatever they feel comfortable in on a big night of their lives and shouldn’t have to deal with loads of pressure telling them to wear something “normal.” Although I do prefer the traditional long, silky, delicate prom dresses, other people have other opinions and choices. Lots of people may not grow up in a wealthy household so they don’t have lots of options to choose from and these dresses might be a cute alternative. So, wear what you want and don’t let people hate your choices.