Belly Rubs

Belly Rubs

Many dog owners have noticed their dog shaking their legs. Especially when they are petted around the stomach. They may wonder if this is normal behavior. This is very common. But, why is this cute behavior normal?

This occurrence can happen off and on with your dog. What happens has all to do with nerves. It’s an unconscious reflex that happens when the sensors under their skin respond to the spinal cord. Unlike most reflexes, this has no signals to the brain. From there the spinal cord sends a message to the muscles in the leg. Since no signals are sent to the brain your dog does not choose to do this. It’s just like when you go to the doctor and they tap your knee with a hammer.

Research by “Science Show” says it might have evolved from the motion to shake off fleas, or ticks. Since a bite from fleas or ticks is similar to the scratches we give them it causes them to unconsciously kick. This has also been found in cats, frogs, and turtles.

Many vets use this method with dogs to diagnose scabies, mange, and other serious skin conditions. It is called the Pinnal-Pedal Scratch Reflex.

Sally, a Denver resident with a golden retriever, claims that she thought it might be linked to allergies. But, further research suggests that this claim is incorrect. According to “Oakland Veterinary Services” dogs are startled when this happens. Just like when someone scares you, and you feel startled. But, that does not mean they don’t like it. Every dog likes belly scratches. 

When should you be worried about your dog twitching? Many twitches in dogs are related to muscle spasms. It can cause serious injuries. A muscle spasm is when pain tightens your muscles. This is uncontrollable. If your dog shows these symptoms it might be good to go to the vet: such symptoms include numbness/ or trouble walking, depression, and pain. 

When a dog rolls over it’s obvious they want affection. It can be a great bonding experience for you and your dog. Research by “K9 basics” shows when a dog wants a belly rub they are telling you that you are the boss since it is a dog’s least protected area. It’s also no doubt that they love scratches in their “sweet spot.”