The ‘Broken’ Family

The Broken Family

Chapter Two: Baby

Mmh pancakes, I can smell them all the way from my room, on the 3rd floor.

Something about us we are rich, but not obnoxiously rich, just on the line of rich and poor.

YES! I exclaim in my head It’s Saturday. I slip on a white tank top and put on my favorite crop top sweater; it’s blue with the words’ Don’t cry ‘caus soon the light will come.’ It’s my favorite because Momma gave it to me for my 10th birthday last year.

Now it feels like everything Momma gave me is my favorite thing now. Ever since she… well you know.

The syrup tastes bitter sweet in my mouth, mixing with the pancakes, 

“This is delicious,” I say with a mouth full of food, “ Best birthday breakfast ever!” “ Thank you Mo-” I start to say but stop myself, and then say “ Dad, Thank you.”

“Your welcome Kiddo! So what do you want to do today? We can go to the mall, or watch a movie?” He replies without even mentioning my mistake.

“Umm, what movies are out?” I say wondering why he even mentioned the mall, he knows that going to the mall on my birthday was a mother and daughter thing, and that it will never be a father and daughter thing, I’m offended by it, does he think he can just replace Momma? 

“The new Rainbow Unicorns are out, do you want to see that?” Dad asked hesitantly.

I roll my eyes, “Really Dad, I’m not 5 anymore, I’m 12!”

“I- I mean The Killer is out, what about that?” Dad questioned. Though, he knew that I was going to say yes. But I can see that he is silently praying that I say “I don’t want to go, thanks though.”

“YES! I’ve been dying to see that one! When can we go?” I say all of this way too fast and way too loud. I clear my throat “ I mean yes I would like to go, when does it start?” This time I say it slowly and calmly; my Dad’s two favorite words.

“Ok, I guess we can watch it at 1:00 after lunch,”