Cole Brauer Travels Around the World by Herself

Cole Brauer made it back to Spain and completed her sail around the world on March 7 2024 and ranked 2nd out of 16 sailors in the Global Solo challenge. Half of the competitors dropped out of the race. Cole Brauer felt “This is really cool and so overwhelming in every sense of the word” once she arrived at the dock of Spain. 

Brauer did not go without hardships though. She faced massive 30-foot waves and storms that shook the boat. Also, in the middle of the journey, she got tossed across her boat and slammed into the wall where she broke a rib and later had to insert an IV by herself to prevent massive dehydration after vomiting a lot. All while this was going she still had to pilot her boat and she didn’t have a choice to keep going or not because she was in the middle of the sea and if she stopped she would have died. This is also a big accomplishment for women because people can see that they can do very hard things. She was the only woman to compete in the challenge and had to persevere through people saying she couldn’t do it or she should just go do something else.

Although she had these hardships she had to overcome she still did have Satellite data so she could watch shows and video call friends and family. She felt like “It all makes it worth it when you come out here, you sit on the bow, and you see how beautiful it is”. While on the boat she felt bored and had little to do except sleep, eat, watch shows, and pilot the boat which after a long time is not much fun. All in all, sometimes a hard journey pays off.