Emma Gonzalez’s Speech at March for Our Lives

Emma Gonzales was a survivor of a shooting in Douglas, Parkland. Emma’s speech at the March for Our Lives was about the shooting that occurred in Parkland; it lasted 6 minutes and about 20 seconds. As Emma states in her speech, “No one could believe that there were bodies in that building waiting to be identified for over a day.” 

The significance of the Parkland shooting was that the reaction time was so slow that the shooting had finished by the time any kind of reaction had occurred. No one knew a code red had been called when a security camera saw the shooter with a rifle case walking towards the school. After making it out of the building by blending in with the other students, the shooter was caught 1 hour and 20 minutes later in Coral Springs. 

In the Parkland shooting, 17 people were killed; three of those were teachers protecting and helping students, and 17 others were injured. The shooter was charged with 34 life sentences in prison for each of those seventeen people who were killed and the other seventeen people who were injured in the shooting.

In my opinion, the park land shooting could have been prevented if any law enforcement had responded or if the school had been notified of the code red and put on lockdown.