Denver Botanic Gardens Built on Bone

Denver Botanic Gardens Built on Bone

Not many people know the interesting history of the botanic gardens. In fact, it used to be a cemetery. Colorado Forestry and Horticulture Association founded (what is now the Botanic Garden) on the Prospect Hill Cemetery on February 1, 1951, for experimental purposes in growing cash crops, as well as native plants.

The Mount Prospect Hill Cemetery was a 160-acre cemetery built in 1858. In 1865, 40 acres of the cemetery became Mount Calvary cemetery, where they buried Catholics. Then in 1873, it was named Denver City Cemetery. Over the years the cemetery lost many customers because of their “treeless” areas and poor condition. As well as the small new cemeteries in the area. In the early 1950s, the cemetery was sold to the city of Denver. Where they soon decided to REMOVE around 6,000 bodies under it. When the Botanical Gardens started construction more than 50 more bodies were found and re-located.

On February 3, 1951, the Botanical Gardens Foundation of Denver (DBG) bought the 750-acre land from Denver and then started the long process of building what is now the botanic gardens. In 1952, John Evans ll and Gladys paid local architect Saco Rienk DeBoer around $10,000 to build on 100 acres of the property. In their early years many citizens and companies donated including The Denver Rose Society, who gave 4,000 roses. As well as DeBoer who donated 47 crab apple trees. With the creation of the children’s garden in 2010 human remains from the past cemetary were still being discovered.

The Denver Botanic Gardens is now a beloved garden and popular site for many locals and tourists. “The mission of Denver Botanic Gardens is to connect with people and plants, especially in the Rocky Mountain region and similar regions around the world, providing delight and enlightenment to everyone.” More than 1.3 million people visit the gardens each year and enjoy more than 50 acres of beautiful land.