Are Middle School Relationships Real?

It’s no secret that people ‘date’ and ‘Have relationships’ in middle school. But are they truly dating or is it just the label? The definition of being in a relationship is “a close connection between two people, especially one involving romantic or sexual feelings”

Although relationships as a middle schooler are mostly labels that teenagers use for puppy love they can be based on true feelings. The feelings we have when we like someone or are in a relationship with someone are one of the most exciting parts of middle school, but it can also be the most nerve-racking. You are still trying to figure out who you are and what you like. Many middle schoolers have true feelings for the person they are in a relationship with. Most young teenagers date the people they have feelings for and some date the ones they don’t just because they want the label of being ‘in a relationship’. Those who date the people that they have true feelings for may have very strong feelings coming into the relationship while others may have mild feelings coming into the relationship, but all of these feelings are likely to change as they move throughout the relationship.

Despite being exciting, being in a relationship in middle school is complicated because you are in adolescence and are immature as well as trying to figure out who you are as a person. A middle school relationship can become a big problem when one side of the relationship wants time with their friends, while the other side wants to spend time with their significant other. Middle schoolers are still growing up and having to worry about another person’s personal feelings can be hard on them. Growing up and trying to have a romantic relationship puts lots of pressure on teenagers. Middle School is about learning and growing up, and young teenagers need to learn more about themselves before jumping head-first into a relationship. 

All in all, relationships in middle school can exciting but they can also be hard and put a lot of pressure on both people.