Should Eating In Class Be Allowed?

Should Eating In Class Be Allowed?

At McAullife, we are not allowed to eat in class. But shouldn’t we be able to? The majority of teachers don’t let students eat in class. And if they do, it’s for the first 5 minutes of class. That doesn’t sound too fair. Some 6th graders have lunch at 11, and have to wait until 4:10 to eat again! So why shouldn’t we eat during that time? 

Some teachers here hate eating in class. They say that it is disruptive and noisy. Some teachers say that you can eat during Do Now. Now, that depends. Some Do Nows are about 5 minutes long. Some are like 20 minutes, so you have a bit of time. And about 2 teachers in 6th grade don’t care if you eat during class, as long as you pick it up. Fair, but also, 2 TEACHERS!?!? The likelihood of you having one of those teachers is very slim. And those privileges can be taken away quite easily. Not very fair. I understand if teachers don’t like it because some kids leave all their trash around their desks, but don’t take the privilege away from all of us. 

Also, some kids work better by eating. I know that I do. Eating can make people focus better. Or, if you have a low metabolism, it can be hard to go so long without eating. Many teachers just say to eat during the passing period. But the passing period is not only 5 minutes, if you have to go the bathroom or stop by your locker, that is out of the question. 

I find the fact that you can’t eat in class quite upsetting. Maybe we could negotiate, or just eat and clean up. Not too hard!

View Comments (1)