Behind Small Businesses

Behind Small Businesses

On social media, you’ve probably seen small businesses trying to advertise their store. Additionally, everyone always says to support small businesses. But why would you buy from them when you could get the same thing from a big company for cheaper? To find answers, I asked the owner of TRUE Boutique, who has a store in Stanley Marketplace.

Starting with the idea of pricing, I asked about their expenses and how that affects their pricing. In response, they wrote, “Our biggest expense is our rent. We also have to pay taxes to both the state and local governments. We have payroll expenses. We have to price our products to cover these costs and more. We want to make sure the item is affordable to our customers while also making a profit so we can stay in business.” Unlike big companies, their expenses tend to be higher, yet they still need to make a profit. This is reflected in their products. 

However, they still try to keep their prices affordable. “Running a smaller store requires less workers, lower energy expenses, and we can be very efficient in managing our inventory. All of this helps us to maintain lower costs for our clients so our pricing is very competitive with larger companies.” 

So, even though they are expensive, why should you buy from small businesses? In response to this question, TRUE said, “As a small business, we hire local people, contribute to local tax revenue, and reinvest in their own community, fostering a beneficial cycle for everyone involved.” Since they are local, it helps build community. Also, people argue that they help the local economy, create jobs, and provide better service.

In all, their pricing is justified and is not crazy. They need to be able to stay in business while making a profit. Buying from these places helps support your community in so many different ways. Even if you can find the ‘same thing’ on Amazon, buying from a local business doesn’t only benefit you, but those in your community.