The Rise of Anti-Trans Bills in the US

The Rise of Anti-Trans Bills in the US

Texas Governor Greg Abbott signed SB 14 into law on June 2, which is stopping people under 18 from receiving hormone therapy and puberty blockers. After you turn 18 is one of the hardest times to come out. Luckily, In Colorado, Anti-Discrimination in places of public accommodation, housing, and employment based on sexual orientation or gender Identity.

Becky Hormuth and her transgender son, Levi, thought they were protected after a Missouri law banning transition-related care for minors took effect in August. The law grandfathered in those who had already been receiving puberty blockers or hormone therapy before Aug. 28, meaning they, in theory, would be able to continue their treatment. Levi, 16, began receiving testosterone in November of last year.

However, Missouri’s new law also allows providers of transition-related care for minors to be sued by their patients until they turn 36. As a result, the hospital where Levi had been receiving care for more than a year informed patients in September that it would no longer be providing such care, citing the ¨Unstable Liability¨ the law creates for healthcare professionals.

This matters because with Anti Trans laws, then people who are trans, A) cannot show their identity and enjoy who they are, and B) are immediately going to be judged for and discriminated against. I know someone who has been bullied about this exact situation, being told ¨Well you don’t look like a girl¨ because they couldn’t get treatment for puberty blockers or hormone therapy.

This needs to stop, otherwise, the government will think they can take away anything to stop things they don’t like which aren’t wrong, such as hormone therapy or abortion rights, exactly, they took away the right to control what happens to our bodies, imagine what they will control next.

View Comments (1)