Woman Steals $2,500 Worth of Stanley Cups from Store

A woman was accused of stealing $2,500 worth of  Stanley Cups from a store in Roseville, California on January 17.

The alleged thief was identified as 23-year-old Delany Garcia-Lopez, who, according to police records, was reported for stealing upwards of 65 of the now viral $45 Quencher Cups popularized by social media from Dick’s Sporting Goods.

Under California law, Garcia-Lopez was charged with a single account of grand theft that was raised to a felony because the stolen amount added to over $950, as well as 2 misdemeanors of driving under the influence with a blood-alcohol level of 0.08, well above the 0.05 legal limit. The Roseville police were called to the scene after they received a call of a robbery in progress, and they pulled her car over on the 6000 block of Stanford Ranch Road through a traffic stop.

“Staff saw a woman take a shopping cart full of Stanley water bottles without paying for them. The suspect refused to stop for staff and stuffed her car with the stolen merchandise,” police said in a recent statement. “While Stanley Quenchers are all the rage, we strongly advise against turning to crime to fulfill your hydration habits,” police said in a later Facebook post.

Garcia-Lopez pleaded not guilty but was arrested for felony grand theft and drinking and driving. Her bail was set at $150,000 and a GPS ankle monitor was required. However, her bail has since been suspended due to provisions of the penal code where the court believes the money could have been acquired illegally.

Her next hearing is scheduled for February 21, 2024.

View Comments (2)