Daylight Savings

Daylight+Savings
Fiordaliso

Daylight savings time is when you move your clocks forward an hour on the second Sunday in March and back on the first Sunday of November. Daylight savings is used to have daylight later into the evening. Most of North America and Europe follow this custom while many other countries do not, especially countries near the equator because it would either be light or dark all day.

Daylight savings was created to help save energy in WWI. In 1784 Benjamin Franklin was the one who thought of the idea of pushing clocks forward in summer and back in fall, but Germany was the first country to try it out in 1916. Daylight savings were made to help save energy in WWI is used to be called “war time” according to the U.S. Department of Defense.

Originally daylight savings was supposed to begin on the last Sunday of April and end on the first Sunday of November, but in 2005, Congress decided to make it begin on the Second Sunday of March and end on the first Sunday of November for more energy-saving purposes. Then there was also a vote to not have daylight savings time anymore in 2023, but that law never got past Congress so we still have to spring forward and fall back.  But what do you think about daylight savings? Should we keep it or should we get rid of it?