Who Invented School

Horace Mann
Horace Mann

Ever wondered who ever created school? Well it all started with Horace Mann who invented the education system. He was born in 1796, and started it all in Massachusetts. In 1837 he became secretary of education then he undertook one of the biggest education reforms in American history. While he was secretary of education he began teaching and delivering lectures and reforms. Mann later went and persuaded the modernizers to allow laws that supported tax-funded education. These schools that were tax-funded were called common schools, they were created to allow kids education no matter their religion or district.

One of the major successes of these schools, was that teachers all had the same basic training. Because people would have to go to attend a ‘normal school’ or a teacher training college in order to be able to be a teacher,  meant that in theory all teachers would all have the same standardized teaching and teaching strategies.

School back then was surprising almost the same learning as it is nowadays, there was still all the main subjects that kids had to learn but later in the years more classes were invented since more people learned new skills and were able to teach them.

All in all, schools have changed significantly in some ways and not so much in others, and some people might thank Horace Mann and some might despise him for inventing the learning curriculum.