Taylor Swift Boosts NFL Views Causing Drama

AP
FILE – A fan holds a sign during the first half of an NFL football game between the Chicago Bears and Kansas City Chiefs Sunday, Sept. 24, 2023, in Kansas City, Mo. Eager as the National Football League has been to cater to the recent public fixation with Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce, it’s certainly not taking any credit for creating the “situationship” between the pop superstar and the Kansas City Chiefs tight end.(AP Photo/Ed Zurga, File)

Taylor Swift is a name that everyone knows now that she is dating NFL star Travis Kelce, but it’s caused a major uproar in the NFL world. Why? Because she is shown up way more than any other A-List celebrities at sports games. 

Taylor Swift has shown up to most of the Chiefs games since they started dating, and the NFL could not show her more. This could be because the NFL wants to use Taylor Swift to promote their football games. But honestly, they really don’t need to, the game on Sunday, October, 1st, was the most watched game since the Super Bowl last February peaking at 29.4 million views, and the SNF (Sunday Night Football) promo was viewed 8 million times, one of the highest since 2018. All of Taylor Swift’s fans, or “Swifties’ ‘ tried to grab tickets to the game and it ended up being completely sold out, even the diamond-cut shorts she wore to the game sold out the day after. This data shows Taylor Swift’s influence on the NFL.

The New York Times said it best, “Wherever Taylor goes, money follows.” And this was true at the game because she boosted the economy once again. The ticket prices jumped, now that fans think Taylor Swift will be a regular. But this causes people who want to watch a Chiefs game, a huge stack of cash if they want to,  it also causes the TV channel to show Swift quite often, and people who are not a fan get tired of seeing her so often. But luckily they got a break at the game on October 8. Swift didn’t show up to the game, shocking fans who had paid for the tickets. This might mean that Taylor will not be coming to all the games, meaning that the NFL might get customers coming for Taylor Swift, but leaving early because she is not there, and that can upset people who couldn’t get tickets to the game. 

The NFL, on the other hand, has been benefiting, because Taylor Swift is almost a free ad. Taylor also gets to have some of her music played during the game, and might be used in a commercial for the NFL, these commercials are hard to get, but Taylor’s relationship is getting her new opportunities that would not have been possible with her music. However, she has had commercials in the past,  most of which have not been in football games, or not recently. The NFL is trying to get networks to air Taylor Swift concert film promos broadcasted, for free! This is a big deal considering it is usually a 30-second TV ad during the broadcast of NFL’s Sunday Night Football during the 2022/23 season that costs around 828.5 thousand U.S. dollars. 

Now, how much does it cost to go to a game that Swift might be at, including a hotel, refreshments, and food, your average goes around $1,332 and before Taylor Swift hit the NFL, you only paid around $229. So, while you might want to go out to see Taylor Swift perform, is it worth the cash? Probably not. That is a $1,000 leap, to have a bad view of Taylor, and if you wanted a good view, it might cost $1,577, and that’s still a couple of rows ahead of the pop star, considering she might not even be there. 

To conclude, Taylor Swift might be an asset to the NFL, but it’s not all worth buying an overpriced ticket to see her.