The Dark Side of Cinderella

The Dark Side of Cinderella

Most people know about the famous Cinderella and her Prince Charming, but what they don’t know is the evil and dark side to it. The Grimm Brothers originally created Cinderella and made the story much more dark and cruel than the edited Disney version. 

The beginning is pretty similar to the Disney version but there is one main difference; Cinderella’s Dad was alive the entire time and he didn’t even care that his new wife was being cruel and mean to his own daughter.

Towards the end, though, it gets really dark. In the Disney version, the two stepsisters try to fit their feet in Cinderella’s shoes but they can’t fit. The prince notices this and asks Cinderella to try the shoe on. It fits perfectly and it’s a happily ever after. However, in the original version, the prince gives the shoe for the first stepsister to put on. Her big toe doesn’t fit. She decides to CUT OFF her toe to make her fit in the shoe. The prince gets tricked and brings the stepsister with him. So, some pigeons come and tell the prince this, “Rook di goo, rook di goo! There’s blood in the shoe. The shoe is too tight, this bride is not right!” The prince is obviously horrified.

He goes back for the second stepsister and asks her to try it on. When she tries putting it on, her heel is too big. She then cuts her heel off to make the shoe fit. The prince takes her with him this time. Again the pigeons come and tell the prince this, “Rook di, rook di goo! There’s blood in the shoe. The shoe is too tight, this bride is not right!” The prince is again horrified. He goes back for the last child, Cinderella.

The shoe fits perfectly, so the prince and Cinderella get married. The stepsisters become the bridesmaid, but the pigeons are angry that the stepsisters were mean and cruel and even tricked the prince into thinking that they were Cinderella. They are so angry that they decide to peck each one of their eyes out for a punishment! From then, they had to live their entire life blind.

As you can see, the Disney version is much more “kid-friendly” than the original!

View Comments (1)