Addressing the Gender Neutral Bathroom Controversy

Gender-neutral bathrooms provide a comfortable, welcoming place for transgender people. Transgender people, or people who don’t identify as their “assigned” gender are constantly uncomfortable in public spaces, and are often left out of creating a more welcoming environment for everyone. However, the inclusion of gender-neutral bathrooms leads to correcting this and allowing transgender people to feel seen and welcomed in an environment. 

In the 21st century, we are trying to build a safe world for everyone to thrive in, as when we build that world we have to make sure that everyone is included. Gender-neutral bathrooms are just one step too, including a safe place for transgender people by allowing them to feel seen without having the uncomfortable burden of having to use a bathroom that doesn’t reflect their identity. Bathrooms are supposed to be a safe and relaxing place for people, and when it’s not, that poses a huge issue, when you don’t feel safe doing something, you are more likely to not do it. It is shown that transgender people are more likely to just not use the bathrooms in public spaces at all. That’s why including these bathrooms creates a healthy, comfortable, and welcoming environment for everyone. 

However, many people argue that gender-neutral bathrooms lead to sexual assault cases and create an unsafe environment for women and children. But I disagree. According to the National Institutes of Health, “Analyses of criminal incident reports have found no evidence that assaults, sex crimes, or voyeurism in public toilets are increased by gender-neutral toilets or SGD inclusive policies. Furthermore, trans youth are more likely to be victims of sexual assault than perpetrators.” This directly shows that this argument is not backed by facts. 

Actually, according to studies, transgender people are four times more likely to experience violence and victimization. I bring this up because many people believe LGBTQ people, especially gay and transgender people are child molesters and predators. This is a homophobic stereotype that is very common and I believe plays a big role in the idea that gender-neutral bathrooms increase the likelihood of sexual assault.

So, it is my opinion that gender-neutral bathrooms lead to a more healthy and comfortable environment for transgender people and allow us to build a world where everyone is welcome.