The Rarest at McAuliffe

The Rarest at McAuliffe

At McAuliffe, the new 6th grade science unit is about Traits and Reproduction. We were all talking about eye color, hair color, and other traits that people have. Then, we watched a video about rare traits you can have. I wanted to see what the rarest eye color, hair color, hair texture and more in the sixth grade was. Here are my results. 

Eye color: The most popular eye color is brown, with a total of 17 people. The second most common eye color was blue, with 4 people, then hazel with 3 people, then green with 2 people, and the rarest was gray, with one person. 

Hair color: The most common hair color was brown, with 28 people having brown hair. The second most common hair color was black, then blond, and nobody seemed to be red-headed. 

Hair Texture: The most common hair texture was straight hair, with 27 people, then wavy, with 10 people, and lastly curly, with 4 people. 

Writing hand: Most people were right handed (no surprise) with 13 people, and there were only 2 left handed people that I accounted for, and then nobody was ambidextrous. 

Crossed Fingers: If you cross your fingers (like holding your own hand) one of your thumbs is on top. The most common (only by one) was left thumb being on top, with 8 people, while right thumb over left had 7 people. 

According to a scientific study, these numbers are generally correct. Brown eyes are the most common, black and brown hair is the most common, most people place their left hand over their right, and most people are right handed. Same goes for the rare people. 1% of people have gray eyes, so gray eyes are the most rare. Having red hair is a genetic mutation, so it is the rarest. And only about 1% of the world is actually ambidextrous, so of course that is the most rare.