Cracking Your Knuckles: Good Or Bad

Every day you see people cracking their knuckles whether in school or public. There’s no doubt it can become a habit. It can be fun to hear the cracking of your joints and in many ways soothing or satisfying. For many people it reduces stress and anxiety. The big question is, is it good for your health? 

Dr. Robert Klapper a co-director at Cedars-Sinai Joint Replacement Program says “Feeling good after cracking your knuckles is a physiological experience.” In fact, a study by Dr. Klapper shows more than half percent of people regularly crack their knuckles. Sophia agrees, claiming “For me it is satisfying.” Another local Denver resident, Sally, notes “When she was younger she would have competitions with her brother and sister to see who could crack their knuckles the loudest.” Although cracking your knuckles has no short term outcome. Practicing this habit rely or incorrectly may impact your chances of dislocation in the area. Sudden pain and swelling. As well as destroying cartilage.

“I crack my knuckles only when my joints feel tight.” says Dave. In 1998 Donald Unger cracked his left hand’s knuckle regularly for 50 years. After the experiment he did an x-ray on both hands and claimed to see no obvious difference. There are many theories with benefits to cracking your knuckles including it loosens your joints, or makes your hands bigger. Both of which do not have evidence to prove. 

Not just humans participate in this indulging experience. Animals do too! Including dogs, cats, elephants, and even spiders. This is usually why you see your dog or cat doing downward dog or rubbing on the floor. Dogs also find this fun to do! They can do this when there is air in their joints as well as when their bones rub together. When gas bubbles from their synovial fluid escapes it creates popping or clicking sounds. Dogs, despite humans, can actually develop arthritis because of the difference in body structure. When a dog’s hips pop regularly it can be a sign of hip dysplasia. Including when their femur pops out, rubbing on hip bones.

Overall, cracking your knuckles is not bad for you in the short term, and won’t show any differences for your hand other than the occasional dislocation which is very unlikely. Many doctors will advise against knuckle cracking only because there are better alternatives including deep breathing or fidgets. For some people it is therapeutic but for others it is annoying, and in some ways scary.