New Blue Card In Professional Soccer Being Discussed

The new blue card rule in professional soccer is being established to primarily protect referees from in-game abuse from players, or simply, extreme arguing over certain calls or rules. The blue card gives referees the power to send a player off the field for 10 minutes. Blue cards will be given for offenses more powerful than any yellow card but less severe than a red card. 

FA chief executive Mark Bullingham told The Athletic last November, “You get to a point where players know about the threat of sin bins so they don’t transgress.” Two blue cards would result in a red card and one blue card and a yellow card would end in a red card. The color blue was chosen over the color orange so it shows how distinct the card is from red and yellow cards. When the blue card rule is implemented, it will be the first card introduced to the game of soccer since 1970, when the yellow and red cards were established. The IFAB (International Football Association Board) is discussing the blue card rule being added, but it is not a set-in-stone idea quite yet.

I think the addition of the blue card is a great idea because it is not as severe as a red card, but it still gives consequences for arguing with the rules of the game.