Sports Around the World

There are many different types of sports worldwide, but what are the most popular? The world has billions of people with many interests and skill levels. With years of research, we have found the world’s top five most popular sports. All of the information in this article is from Aeon.com. 

Soccer. Soccer has been a beloved and enjoyed sport by 3.5 billion people worldwide. Football or Soccer was founded 2,000 years ago in ancient China, Greece, and Rome. Even though soccer is a huge sport in Europe, many other countries have found their love for soccer in Africa, Asia, and America. The FIFA World Cup is one of the most significant sporting events in the world and is watched by billions of people; the FIFA World Cup takes place every four years. In the last FIFA global census, 265 million people played.  

Cricket. Cricket is huge in India, Pakistan, Australia, the UK, and Asia, with 125 countries participating and about 2.5 billion fans. Cricket is a traditional but exciting sport and has made a cultural staple worldwide—field Hockey. Even though Field hockey is played in over 100 countries, it is most prevalent in Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia, with an estimated 2 billion fans. Field hockey is a fast-paced sport with a fantastic presence in the Olympics.

Tennis. With an estimated 1 billion fans, tennis is widely regarded as the most popular individual sport in the world. Tennis is well known worldwide but is most prevalent in America, Asia, and Europe. Wimbledon is one of the most streamed sporting events in the world, with many different categories like men’s doubles, women’s doubles, and mixed doubles. Volleyball. Initially formed in America, volleyball’s popularity has branched out to Asia, Europe, and Australia, with about 900 million fans. Volleyball is played indoors and outdoors with 220 affiliated national federations. Volleyball has made a massive appearance in college volleyball with the record-breaking volleyball game for an attendance of 92,003 at the home football field of Nebraska University, which was the home court of the Nebraska volleyball team.