Standing on Two Sticks

There are some amazing mountains worldwide with many different types of runs and different runs for different skill levels.  Colorado is known for the Rocky Mountains and some of the best skiing and snowboarding in the country. But why is skiing more popular than snowboarding? Many say it depends on where you live, what’s available, and which is easier to learn. 

The first pair of skis were found in Russia that date back to 6000 B.C.E, but skiing was not declared a sport until 1767. The first Snowboards were developed in 1965, so there are some years between when skiing was invented and the first snowboard was developed. Skis were found, but snowboards were developed historically from data and artifacts; we know that some of the very first humans to ever walk around the earth made skis probably for easier transportation in the snow, while snowboarding was only created 59 years ago. 

Who skis, and who snowboards? As of 2023, about 55 million people ski, while 10-20 million people snowboard. Since skiing was invented before snowboarding, more people know how to ski, but many people worldwide can do both. Some skiers are learning how to snowboard, and snowboarders are learning how to ski. When you ski or snowboard, you don’t just go down a mountain, turning and going fast; there are many different things and styles of skiing and snowboarding, like cross-country skiing and telemarking, which are on another kind of skis. With snowboarding, it is harder to have different styles because you are on one board while skiing; you are allegedly on two sticks. 

Skiing or snowboarding? The whole question is an opinion; it depends on what you like and are comfortable with. Skiing is more well-known because it’s been around for a long time, so people learned it first, but snowboarding is becoming more well-known. Some mountains used not to allow snowboarding because when snowboarding first started, people who skied didn’t get along with snowboarders at first, but then ski resorts allowed them because, in some way, they saved a lot of mountains. After all, it brought in more money and a bigger, younger crowd. Ski resorts are called ski resorts for a reason. Skiing has been one of the biggest, most successful winter sports, making a lot of money off of season passes and the overall enjoyment it brings to people; with skiing history, it will not be going anywhere anytime soon.