The Mouse Problem at Schools

House mice are known for their love of old, historical buildings with lots of hidey-holes, and schools offer the perfect environment for their needs. Schools give them a safe and secure home with lots of hidden spaces, along with warmth in the winter and cool in the summer. Most of all, though, schools offer lots and lots of food. 

The amount of food that is dropped in the hallways, the courtyards, the playgrounds, and the classrooms is incredible. Once students are let out of school and staff members leave after the day, mice usually spend the time scrounging for crumbs left around the floor. Schools are the perfect place for a mouse to live, and if you ask around, you’ll find that they’re a lot more common than most people would expect.

Not only is the sheer amount of mice disgusting, though, but it can also be dangerous. House mice are known to carry diseases that can be transmitted through feces, urine, saliva, bites, and general contact with the rodent. To prevent the diseases from spreading, make sure that you handle live or dead mice properly, along with their droppings. 

To prevent house mice from coming into your homes, make sure to clean up food immediately after it is dropped, and it’s never a bad idea to have a cat or a ratter (a dog that hunts rats and mice) in your house. Also, you can use mouse traps and rat poison throughout your home.

Mice in schools can not be easily prevented, if at all. To cut down on the amount of mice, though, remember to clean up after yourself. As stated previously, food is a huge cause of an excessive mouse population in schools. Be clean and be careful.

View Comments (1)