McAuliffe should have teacher planning days

McAuliffe is one of the only schools in the district that does not have teacher planning days. Every year the lessons stay the exact same for every group of students, and none of us get new material. That being said, the topics that they teach us are not wrong, but they could simply just be better, or be changed. Lots of the time, and in my personal experience, the lessons  for most of my classes have little aspects that show when they were created, and they only rarely incorporate things from today into the lesson plans. This makes it seem sloppy and boring, because most of the time the students already know some of the things. These problems could be easily solved by taking a day off for the students, allowing the teachers to be able to plan out what they want to do, and teach. It would also be nice for the students to get a day off, because some of us might just need some time to catch up, or ground ourselves.

Not only is this annoying for our students, but it is also terrible for teachers all around the country. As of 2021, the teachers in the U.S. have had no time to plan, as a lot of them need to cover classes due to the shortage of teachers. Even before this the teachers did not have a lot of time to plan for the day ahead, because in that time they also needed to eat, sleep, and do any other things that are necessary in their day to day life. So, in order to help keep some more order in the teachers lives, the district should allow for McAuliffe to have teacher planning days.

So why doesn’t McAuliffe have teacher planning days? In a review with one of the teachers/staff that helps deal with the planning of school days, I went to see if I could find any good reasoning that they could provide about why we do not have these days, but why other schools have them quite often. And the reasoning that they used to show why, made a lot of sense. The teachers at McAuliffe actually have more time than any other teachers in the district to plan, because every day they have an hour before school to check and clean up the lessons. This is because McAuliffe has a system that is off the district’s usual teaching agenda. Additionally this allows the teachers at McAuliffe to not stress out about having to complete ten lessons in a single day like on normal teacher planning days. While at the same time we do have teacher planning days, but it is only for one teacher at a time, and that is only if they need a little extra time to finish up, and as they do a sub or another teacher can replace them for a day.

Finally, all in all, McAuliffe does have teacher planning days, but it’s only if necessary, and the whole school still goes to school. You don’t need a day off for everyone, just that teacher in order for them to finish up, in case they didn’t in the hour that they have everyday to plan before teaching the lesson.