Arc of a Scythe

Arc of a Scythe

The “Arc of a Scythe” trilogy is a very popular young adult series. The “Arc of a Scythe” is based on a futuristic human civilization that has conquered death to avoid population, and has trained people to kill and keep the population under control.

The first book, “Scythe,” is based on the two Scythes in training, Rowan Damish, and Citra Terranova, who were normal children, meant to become Scythes. A scythe with the name Scythe Faraday will train them when they do not believe they want to be scythes. Since scythes do not usually train multiple, when in the conclave another scythe discusses having one of the scythe in training kill the other when they become a scythe. Scythe Faraday eventually jumps in front of a train so they don’t have to kill one another when one becomes a scythe, but it backfires, giving Citra and Rowan different training masters.

I think that this book shows a lot of emotion and suspense, leaving you wondering, ‘What is going to happen next?’ This book has a smooth ending, jumping into the next book which makes you want to read the book even more.,

In book two, “Thunderhead,” we read about how the A.I. called the Thunderhead leads the civilization and makes hard decisions, slowly taking things away from humanity. The Thunderhead is a really smart program that people can talk to, and it helps people in many ways. People need the Thunderhead because without it, they would not have help, and for some people it would take away the only thing that they can talk to. When people are not law-abiding or they do bad things, they are marked unsavory, which means they cannot speak to the Thunderhead and might be punished. The Thunderhead will eventually take away all communications from humans, marking everyone unsavory, except for one kid, “The Toll.” This book keeps up the suspense, introducing new characters and new plot lines which keeps you wondering, ready to read more and more.

The third book, “The Toll,” is about “The Toll,” who is the one kid who can still speak to the Thunderhead after it went silent. “The Toll” confines himself in a religion that worships him and builds a temple for him after taking over New York, for people to come and ask him what the Thunderhead wants to speak to them about. At the same time, a Scythe and a librarian end up getting on a helicopter and flying to an island that not even the Thunderhead knows about. People will eventually come to the island to build rockets after the Thunderhead finds out about the island, and it sends them there. The Thunderhead thinks that people should not be killed by scythes, so they should expand to planets years away. This book is good because it has a finishing ending, tying together all the loose ends, and giving you a sense of finality.

This is why I think that the “Arc of a Scythe” trilogy is one of the best book series I have ever read with emotions, suspense, and action.