Is Live Action One Piece Good

Is Live Action One Piece Good

One Piece is a Japanese manga and anime about pirates trying to find the greatest treasure, the one piece. They decided to make a live-action counterpart that is on Netflix.

I watched the trailer and I had high hopes for the series. I immediately loved Inaki Godoy as Monkey D. Luffy. I felt he was really good because he looked a lot like Luffy and was energetic like Luffy. Luffy is a wanna-be pirate who eats the gum-gum fruit that lets him stretch as far as he wants, but he can’t swim and the sea takes away all his power. I got to talk about how amazing Taz Skylar as Sanji was. He took kickboxing classes which became his hobby and he became a black belt in taekwondo as well as taking professional cooking classes. After filming he would cook for the cast and crew in Sanji’s outfit.

Something I didn’t like about the show was the fishmen. The fishmen are fish who are part man. They have a pirate crew with Captain Arlong, who wants to make humans their slaves for killing their nice old captain Fish Tiger. I think they looked weird with the makeup. Early in the series Luffy fights another pirate named Buggy who has the power to separate his body parts. During this fight Luffy and Buggy’s C.G.I attacks looked weird, unrealistic, and unsettling.

I loved the fights and the stunts. Mackenyu, who played Zoro had to put a whole sword in his mouth to be like the character. They had to make the handle smaller to fit in his mouth. My favorite fight was when Zoro, Luffy, Sanji, and Usopp (a pirate crew) walked up to Arlong Park and proceeded to have Usopp run for his life and then hit Chew (a fisherman) with an exploding fireball while Chew was drinking alcohol which makes him blow up. 

If you’ve seen the anime or manga you might like this because it stays true to both of them. You’ll be able to spot a ton of fun Easter eggs. Overall I would recommend this. It’s really good and has 85% on Rotten Tomatoes.