The Premier League Dynamic Duo

Manchester City is one of the most star-studded and successful teams on the planet. They have soared to almost unimaginable heights, a well-oiled machine that tramples everyone in their path. Two of the brightest jewels in their collection? Belgian midfielder Kevin De Bruyne, and Norwegian striker Erling Haaland. And with City beginning to ramp up their title defense, it’s an ominous time for any would-be challengers as the best duo in the league pick up right where they left off.

Erling Haaland joined the Premier League in the summer 2022, and quickly became a revelation, scoring a record-breaking 36 goals last season, winning the Golden Boot, Player of the Season, Young Player of the Season, and Player of the Month twice in August and April. Kevin De Bruyne joined Manchester City from Chelsea in 2015, and out of 247 appearances has created 106 assists, earning himself the Playmaker award three seasons in a row, from 2017-2023. With such eye-catching stats, it’s no surprise they’ve formed such a talented pair.

Since Haaland joined last season, De Bruyne has assisted him a total of 12 times, the most out of any duo in the Premier League. Haaland also assisted De Bruyne twice in a 4-1 title-clinching win over Arsenal last season. De Bruyne is largely considered one of the best midfielders in the world, and Haaland one of the best strikers, so it would make sense that these two have combined to perform so incredibly well. About their impact, City manager Pep Guardiola said, “You don’t have to study at Harvard or Yale to understand that.”

Manchester City is looking ahead to a record-breaking fourth title in a row, which would also be their sixth title in seven years. And with such internationally renowned players falling into their groove, the continuation of their dynasty looks to be a certainty.