The Horror Movie Night Swim

The Horror Movie Night Swim

I have recently watched the horror movie Night Swim, a movie consisting of a haunted pool, and would like to give my opinion on it. Night Swim was released to theaters on January 5th, 2024, and their overall rotten tomatoes score was surprisingly low, a 27% rating overall. 

The movie begins in 1992, when a little girl sees her terminally ill brother’s toy boat out on the pool. She then goes out to retrieve it, but when she tries to get it, a creature pulls her underwear and she disappears. The movie then shifts to present time, where the Waller family is looking for new houses. In the family there is Ray (the father who is suffering from an illness), Eve (the mother), Izzy (the oldest child), and Elliot (Izzy’s younger brother). Their family then finds a house, one with a pool and they decide to buy it. Over time the family realizes how Ray (the father)  is slowly getting better and better, almost cured. But at the same time, Eve dives deeper into the cases seeing a history of others dying in the same water. She realizes how the pool takes someone but cures someone else. So in this case, the pool would take Elliot, but cure Ray of his illness. So Eve rushes home to save her son, but in return Ray decides to sacrifice himself to the entity in the pool. After everything, Eve, Izzy, and Elliot decide to fill the pool up with soil so it would never happen again, and the movie closes.

Personally, this movie was ok, probably like a 4 out of ten on the movie scale for me. I felt like the movie didn’t have too much plot or emotion in it. It wasn’t that scary either, which is an easy no from me. Nobody seemed to have shock or any emotions after sudden realizations, or deaths or anything. There was about one jumpscare, but it was more funny than scary and just no plot. I didn’t get to see that much backstory to the whole “sacrificing people” and I didn’t understand how the family could be so casual after their dad had died. Anyway, overall I do understand how the ratings have been so low on rotten tomatoes. It was an ok movie, but didn’t have much to it overall.

View Comments (1)