Colorado Wolves Naming Competition

Colorado Wolves Naming Competition

Do you want to participate in naming a wolf? Well, the Colorado Wolf and Wildlife Center is holding a naming contest. Students around Colorado are welcome to participate in the competition. 

Colorado signed an agreement with Oregon to obtain 10 gray wolves, meant to repopulate Colorado’s wolves. In November 2020, Colorado voters narrowly agreed to sign an agreement to repopulate the gray wolves in Colorado. The wolves would be reintroduced on the Western Slope.

Students from 5th to 8th grade are allowed to participate, the naming competition is open till December 20, 2023. Students will pick from a list of 14 potential names: Aspen, Luna, Maverick, Kekoa, Chinook, Shadow, River, Star, Freedom, Amarok, Ghost, Sky, Spirit, and Raven. Middle school students will vote on which name fits which wolf after looking at a picture. The name that receives the most votes will go to the first released wolf, the 2nd most voted name will go to the second wolf, and so on.

Wolves used to be almost everywhere in Colorado but in 1940 all the wolves in Colorado Went extinct. But then a pack of wolves migrated into Colorado. Now there are six packs or groups of wolves in Colorado, in 2021, a pair of wolves had a litter of six pups. Wolves can not be harmed, because they are protected by the federal Endangered Species Act. 

If you want to participate just email wolfcontestco@gmail.com