The Criminal Aunt

Emi walked to her aunt’s house, brushing her brown hair out of her face. She tried to look confident but was failing miserably. The truth was she was scared and didn’t want to sleep in a house for a whole two months with her aunt, a person she hadn’t seen in years.

“Mom, why can’t I just stay at my house? I’m old enough and I haven’t seen my aunt in ages! It’s going to be so awkward!” Emi complained.

“You’ll do just fine. I know my sister, and she will take care of you better than you can yourself. Oh, and Aunt Sarah’s house is right here,” Emi’s mom replied, pointing at a light blue house. Emi nervously went up to her aunt’s house and knocked on the door. A woman in her mid-40s who wore way too much makeup opened the door. 

“Hi sweetie, are you Emi?”

“Ummm… yeah,”  Emi said awkwardly.

“Okay then! come in!”  

Emi slowly walked into the living room where she set her stuff. “Make yourself at home!” Aunt Sarah said with fake cheerfulness. 

20 minutes later, her mom left the house. “Goodbye! I’ll see you in a few months!” 

Emi’s aunt waved to Emi’s mom until she was out of sight. “Your room is on the left,”  Aunt Sarah said.

“Ok,” Emi replied, already getting homesick. Emi walked into her room and fell into her bed. 

Emi looked around the room she would be sleeping in for two whole months. It was a pretty normal room except for the fact that there was a huge box filled with papers. Emi knew she shouldn’t go snooping around in a room that’s not hers but she couldn’t help herself but peeking a little. She looked outside to make sure her aunt was busy then slowly opened the lid to the box. Inside were tons and tons of papers, even more than she expected. Emi picked one up and couldn’t believe her eyes. 

The paper was a crumpled criminal record of her aunt’s!  She read the paper over and over again. ‘Sarah Shary Fleisher went to jail on account of being found guilty of killing three innocent humans, one of them being James Fleisher, the defendant’s own brother. The defendant is sentenced to jail for a sentence of six years.’  

Emi eyes widened, again and again, every time she read the part about her aunt killing her own brother. Oh no ,oh  no, oh no!!!  If Aunt Sarah could kill her brother then she could kill me too!!!!!  Emi thought, terrified. Wait a minute maybe this is the past. Maybe after jail, she changed. Emi checked the paper to see when she was sentenced to jail. “2022, January 21”  wHaT!!??!?!!  2022 was only a year ago! That must’ve meant that she escaped jail!!!!!!!!  Emi looked through the rest of the box frantically, trying to find something showing that this was a mistake. Sadly for her, she only found more bad things about her aunt. 

Emi tried to calm down but she couldn’t. Emi tried texting her mom, but Emi’s mom was now on the airplane, having no clue that she just left her daughter with a murderer.

Then she tried calling the cops. “911 what is your emergency?” 

Emi called the police and soon she heard sirens. Before the cops could open the door though Emi’s aunt came into Emi’s room, her face full of anger. “Why did you call the police?!” Emi’s aunt screamed furiously.

“I guess I will have to kill you like my poor brother!” 

Emi trembled from fear and tried to scream, but couldn’t. Before her aunt could do anything though, the cops came bursting through a door. The cops arrested the criminal aunt and sent her straight to a lifetime in jail. Emi sighed with relief and went home. Mom was definitely wrong. I can take care of myself better than my aunt.