School Bus

School+Bus

Monday

I grab my bag as I’m about to leave. It’s heavier than usual. At school, we are doing this project about a historical building or structure. Cady, Olivea, and I are making cliff dwellings. They’re homes that are carved into a mountain, and they are thousands of years old. It’s boring, but also interesting. I was supposed to only bring cardboard but knowing Cady and Olivea, they aren’t gonna bring the clay, glue, or markers. So I’m doing it all. I’m the only reason this project is actually being made.
We had to write an article about the structure and then make a model of it. During the previous week, we were writing the article, and Cady and Olivea were just goofing around.
I didn’t even want to be in their group, but Mr. Hasden said that I had to be in a group and randomly put me in theirs. Everyone says they’re dating, but if you ask them they’ll eat you like they’re starving wolves. I saw this happen once, so I just avoided anything about love when near them.
And ever since we all partnered up they think I want to be their best friend or something. I really don’t.
“Bye, mom!” I shout before leaving to catch the bus. On the bus, there are different sections of the bus ‘reserved’ for different kids. In the front are the nerds and geeks. The middle, the artsy kids, band, drawers, sculptors, etc. Then the front back are the athletes and in the back are the cool kids. Not popular but cool. All the popular kids ride the same bus, the 05. That bus goes into the rich neighborhood, aka, the place where only the popular kids live. Even then, there are only the not-as-popular kids on that bus. All the other kids get their parents, or personal drivers (from what I’ve heard) to drive them.
I sit in this one seat that is in the middle, mostly because that is the only area I fit into the most.
I walk onto the bus and sit down. I put my backpack next to me like I always do. The bus had everyone on it and was now going to go to the school when one more person came on.
“Wait! Wait! Wait!” yelled the guy. He hopped onto the bus, “Thank you.” He said to the driver while huffing out of air. I’d never seen him before so he must have been new. He started walking down the bus.
We have the most full bus in the whole school. There are only two open sits. The one next to me, and the one in the cool area. I sighed and moved my backpack onto my lap so the kid could sit down.
“Thank you,” He said smiling, “I’m Jett. Who are you?”
“Lucas,” I mumbled.
“Cool.” He had the biggest smile ever. He actually looked excited to go to school. He was wearing a blue sweater, and black Cargo pants that looked really cool. I couldn’t see his shoes but that didn’t bother me. He had round thin glasses. His hair was brown and flat. I wasn’t sure if his eyes were brown or hazel. That bothered me. But I didn’t want to talk to him so, I just stayed curious.

Wednesday

I got to my seat and Jett was already there.
“Hm?” I said making Jett turn to me.
“Hi, Lu!” He said smiling widely. I hate it when he calls me Lu.
“It’s Lucas,” I said while sitting down.
“Sorry. So, I need a partner or group for the history project and I was wondering if I could join your group?” He asked.
“Uh…” I started. I don’t really like Jett. He is way too positive. I mean, being positive is a good thing but he’s just so annoying about it. In ELA when he learned that the character’s grandma died he was so sad. He looked as if he was gonna cry. Like, come on! They don’t even exist! Calm down. He is just really cringy, and he calls me Lu! Like, if I was your best friend you could maybe call me that. Not after two days! He gives everyone nicknames. And no one likes it. “I’ll talk to my group about it.”
“Thanks Lu…cas.” He said correcting himself. He had hazel eyes.

Thursday

I walked out of my house earlier than usual. My mom and my oldest sister had started to fight. About what? I don’t know, probably about her and a boy. I really don’t care. But it was making me mad so I was just going to sit in the snow. It snowed that night, and there was a lot of snow. But cars were still able to drive on the road, so school wasn’t canceled. At least that’s what I hoped. I hoped it wouldn’t get canceled by the time I got to my pickup spot.
One, because I would have to walk all the way back. Two, because I would have to deal with the argument between my mom and sister. Knowing my luck, they’re gonna call a snow day right when I get there.
“LU!” Shouted a voice. I immediately knew it was Jett because of that stupid nickname.
“It’s Lucas!” I yelled turning to see Jett running after me.
“Sorry, sorry. But what are you doing out here? They just called a snow day!” Jett said smiling a normal smile! Not his usual big smile.
“Of course…” I said annoyed. “Now I’ll have to go back home.”
“Do you not like your house?” Jett asked me, putting his hands in his pockets. He wasn’t wearing a jacket so he was probably freezing.
“No, no, my family are just having a fight.” We didn’t say anything for a hot minute.
“You can come over to my place.” He said breaking the silence. I rather do anything than that. I would rather go skydiving than that.
“Sure.” He could help out with the history project. “And you can join our history group.” I really don’t want to do all of the work and Jett doesn’t need to know that Cady and Ollivea don’t actually do anything.
“Thanks, Lu!” Jett said going back to his annoying smile. I sigh. He will never not call me Lu.
“It’s… Lu-CAS!” I said, trying not to yell at him.
“Right! I’ll work on it!”

Friday

I got onto the bus, my shoes sagging behind me. I was not having it today. My mom is really busy this afternoon, so I’ll have to take the bus home. Normally my mom would pick me up.
“Why can’t Shara take me home!” I asked my mom.
“Shara has her acting class today,” My mom said. “I don’t get why this is a big deal. You take the morning bus.”
Coming back I hear that everyone is 10 times more crazy after a snow day. And the morning bus is already so much.
I sat down and shoved my backpack under the seat in front of me.
“Hi, Lucas!” Jett said sitting down. He said my name right.
“Hi,” I said looking out the window.
“You good?”
“Yes,” I said firmly. We didn’t talk for the rest of the ride.

I walked onto the bus later that afternoon and sat in my normal spot. The bus was super loud. It was terrible.
“Lucas!” Jett yelled jumping into his seat. “I didn’t know you took the afternoon bus!?”
“I am today,” I sit down next to him.
“Did you hear that we have a field trip to some camp?”
“Who hasn’t?”
Jett nodded. “Yeah, I guess you’re right. Anyway, you going?”
“Thinkin’ about it.”
“Well if you do go we can be in the same room together. And we get to pick one to two other people.”
“I got nobody else.”
“We’ll just say we’re cool with anyone.”
“I’ll ask my mom.” We walked off the bus.
“I know this is late, but would you want to hang out this weekend?”
“I’ll ask my mom.” I don’t know if I want to hang out with Jett or not he is a lot better now that I know him. And he calls me Lucas, instead of Lu. Maybe I will.