Inside Luton Town’s Incredible Journey to the Premier League

Inside Luton Towns Incredible Journey to the Premier League

Luton Town Football Club made it to the English Premier League for the first time in team history following their triumph over Coventry on May 27, but fifteen years ago they weren’t even in “professional football”. They have had an amazing but tumultuous 15 years, and are now at the pinnacle of their history.

In the 2008-2009  season following their relegation, Luton Town dropped below League 2, which is widely regarded as the lowest tier of professional football, to the National League. They made 5th or 6th three out of the four years they were in the league, going through five coaches during that time. In the 2012-2013 season, they became the first semi-professional team to beat a team in the Premier League (Norwich 1-0). In the 2013-2014 season, they finally got promoted back to League 2 under John Still. They stayed there until they were promoted to League 1 in 2016-2017 they were runners-up, following a fourth-place finish the year before. They only spent one season in League 1, winning the league title and going back to the Championship for the first time in 12 years. They made the Championship playoffs in the 2021-2022 season but lost 2-1 to Huddersfield. They made the playoffs again the next season and beat Sunderland 3-2 and then beat Coventry City 6-5 on penalties, as neither team could break the 1-1 tie.

Since arriving in the Premier League, Luton Town has lost all three of their games and has only scored two goals but fans are hoping for the best and praying that Luton Town Football Club can survive the toughest test in sports.

View Comments (1)