The NFL’s Biggest Upsets, Thrills, and Blowouts so Far

The NFLs Biggest Upsets, Thrills, and Blowouts so Far

The 2023-2024 NFL season officially started on September 7th in Kansas City, and through three weeks, there have already been several major upsets in what promises to be a thrilling season.

There were several interesting games in the first week, notably the first game of the season, the Detroit Lions at the Kansas City Chiefs. Most people expected the Chiefs to win, especially because they won last season’s Super Bowl, but the Lions went in and shocked the NFL world. They prevailed 21-20 on a game-winning touchdown drive, with David Montgomery sealing the game. Other upsets in the first week alone were the Tampa Bay Buccaneers beating the NFC North champions, the Minnesota Vikings 20-17 with a game-winning 57 yard field goal, while the New York Jets upset the Buffalo Bills with a game-winning punt return touchdown in overtime. The most exciting match up of the week was the Denver Broncos against the Washington Commanders. The Broncos lost (shocking) but they were incredibly close. As time ran out, Russell Wilson threw a fifty-yard hail mary touchdown that bounced off of several defenders until Brandon Johnson caught it. Broncos fans were extremely hopeful, but they could not convert the 2-pt attempt, and lost 35-33.

The biggest story so far this season came in week three. The Denver Broncos (again) visited the Miami Dolphins and it went poorly for them. The Miami Dolphins scored the most points by a single team since before the first Super Bowl. They obliterated the Broncos 70-20 with 6 different Dolphins players scoring touchdowns. The Dolphins had over 700 yards, while the Broncos only had 350. The other major upset came with the then win less Arizona Cardinals upsetting the Dallas Cowboys. James Conner of the Cardinals had 16 touches for 108 yards for one touchdown.

The season is far from over, but already there have been thrilling games, blowouts, and upsets, and who knows what will happen next? But as of now, the Chiefs are predicted to win the Super Bowl again, but we will have to wait and see.