Paradox Sports

Paradox+Sports

Paradox Sports is a group that gives those with disabilities the opportunity to be able to go on frequent climbing trips out in the mountains, or when conditions aren’t complimentary, to go to a nearby gym and climb as a community. One in four Americans in the U.S. live with a physical disability, and this really impacts what experiences they might be able to live through. Paradox Sports enables this group of people to be able to live some of these experiences by taking them on annual ‘world-class rock and ice climbing trips.’ Since 2007, this group has taken over 8,000 people nationally on these incredible trips, with disabilities ranging from limb differences to traumatic brain injuries to neurological conditions. 

I’ve spoken with one of the volunteers for Paradox Sports, McAuliffe’s very own Lewis Schiffer, over email, and he’s given me a summary of his experiences with Paradox, along with directing me to a blog he wrote about the community.

I’ve learned a lot about the group through my conversation with Mr. Schiffer, who says that he is, “grateful for the group of people that have given [his] life so much,” and am super impacted by what Paradox Sports has been able to accomplish.

Mr. Schiffer first joined the group in the summer of 2018, where he grew to love the motivation and commitment of the community. One of his most memorable and moving experiences with Paradox was after he had taken a while off of volunteering. There was only a single climber that evening, a middle-aged man who suffered from a traumatic brain injury. He was “slowly trying to make it back to the things that he had previously enjoyed” before his injury, and climbing was one of those numerous experiences. He quickly gained the flow that climbing feeds off of, and began topping climb after climb, becoming more and more excited and enthusiastic. In his blog, Mr. Schiffer says that this experience truly reminded him of why he had volunteered for Paradox; “to disassemble the barriers of [an] amazing activity with a group of people that make showing up for the first time, or the first time in a long time, an incredible experience.”

Paradox Sports has changed so many lives, and helped so many people do the things they enjoy. This is truly an incredible and impactful group.