The History of the Kelpie

In the depths and darkness of the lakes, an ancient malevolent spirit stirs, waiting to bring its victims down to a watery grave. A shapeshifter, sometimes known as the devil incarnate, and the subject of countless myths across Celtic mythology. Woven deep into the fabric of mythology. This is the kelpie.
Derek Gath Whitley, the association of the kelpie with horses might date back to ancient horse sacrifices in Scandinavia. The evil water spirit side of it has the practical purpose of keeping young children away from water, and is also believed to have been used to warn young women away from attractive strangers. The stories also enforced moral behaviors, and were a rational explanation to any drownings.
Legend says a kelpie that appears without any tack can be tamed using a halter with a symbol of a cross etched upon it. A kelpie might also appear with a saddle and bridle, invitingly ready to ride, but once the victim mounts the kelpie, they will be taken to drown, deep below the waves. Any bridle taken from a kelpie would provide the magical property of being able to turn anyone it was used against into a horse or a pony. And just like werewolves, kelpies can be killed using a silver bullet or weapon, turning them to a starch-like substance.
There are hundreds of kelpie stories, but perhaps the most famous would be the tale of the Loch Ness monster, or more affectionately known as Nessie. The scientific community refutes the existence of the monster, which has only been seen in a variety of disputed and faked photographs, and sketchy sonar reads. But the legend of the Loch Ness monster, and the kelpie, lives on.