Controlled Burns

Controlled+Burns

After the Marshall Fire of 2021 that destroyed Boulder, CO, people have been much more aware about forest fires in Colorado, but what they know less about is controlled fires, where people purposely begin a fire to kill off dead trees and brush. These burnings, also known as prescribed burnings, are where specialists plan out fires and control them to eliminate these brush and trees, as to prevent later, uncontrolled forest fires from spreading.

Burns such as these are planned at times where there will be no risk of harming any people, and are ready to be canceled as soon as conditions which may pose a threat occur. 

These burns take a lot to plan out! Those who create them must plan out when it will occur, what weather conditions will occur at the time, how large it will be, what the burn area will be like, along with what will be accomplished from the burn. 

Two main types of burns are used, broadcast burning and pile burning. Broadcast burning is more widespread, where it accomplishes the act of killing more trees, more brush, and bugs that cause a threat to the environment (ex. Emerald Ash Borer). Pile burning is much more conservative, and used when conditions are bad or unpredictable for broadcast burns.

Along with killing off the bad parts of the environment, controlled burns also take care of tree overgrowth, in which there are too many trees in a concentrated area. And, along with this, these fires help with soil rejuvenation. During this process, the fire kills a fair amount of the outer plant life (trees and brush), while also helping some other nutrients available for the growth of more vegetation. This also releases gases from the earth, mainly nitrogen. Basically, the fire gets rid of all the negative parts of the environment, while also increasing the amount of plant growth that could occur. 

However, too many fires could have a negative effect on the environment. Fires can sometimes be good, but an uncontrolled fire caused by civilization can be devastating to not only humans, but also to wildlife. Remember to be careful whenever starting fires in the wild while camping, and always paying attention to weather conditions when starting such fires. State parks and national parks will usually inform you whether or not a fire could be started, and this all really depends on the environment around you. Fire safety is very important, and rules must be followed carefully for safety. 

Everyone, be careful with fire, and remember that some burns are good, but keep in mind playing with fire isn’t really the best idea!