The Broncos Draft Pick

The Broncos Draft Pick

Grace Hall, Writer

The Broncos had a handful of picks in the 2021 NFL draft this year and I am going to tell you about the first person they picked. This was Patrick Surtain II with the 9th pick overall. After the Broncos had not made it into the playoffs last season, they needed some good players to help get them to the playoffs in the 2021-2022 season and they certainly filled that request with Surtain II.

Patrick Surtain II was a Cornerback at Alabama. A Cornerback is a defensive player that usually covers the full length of the sidelines. Patrick Surtain II stood out to the Broncos GM George Paton because he knew his family and what he could do on the field. Patrick Surtain II’s dad had played Cornerback in the NFL for 11 years with the Dolphins and Chiefs and helped Patrick Surtain II form his own skills.

Patrick had been playing football ever since he was 5 years old. As a youth footballer, Surtain played a grade up. Patrick played for Alabama in college and won a championship there with them. In his earlier days, Patrick Surtain II played American Heritage and was born in Plantation, Florida. 

Currently, Patrick weighs 208 lbs and is 6ft-2in. He had a prospect grade of 7.02 which is understandable because in 2019 he had six penalties and isn’t very physical when trying to slow down playmakers across from him. 

Surtain II had only been a Junior when he left Alabama but he had lots of achievements including CFP national champion (2020) SEC Defensive Player of the Year (2020), Unanimous All-American (2020), First-team All-SEC (2020), 2× USA Today High School All-American (2016, 2017). After all this, he was the 2nd Cornerback selected in the draft behind Jaycee Horn from USC (University of South Carolina).

Overall, Patrick Surtain II was a great pick for the Denver Broncos because he adds some more firepower to the already strong defense, the Broncos are projected to have the #1 defensive in the league. The only question left now is, who’s the Broncos QB going to be?