Uber and Lyft are Providing Free Rides to Vaccination Sites

Kairine Brown, Writer

As part of Biden’s new push to roll the vaccine out to at least 70% off adults by July 4th. On Tuesday Biden confirmed that Uber and Lyft will be providing free rides but only until July 4th. During a virtual meeting with governors at the White House, he announced, “To ensure that transportation is less of a barrier, from May 24th through July 4th, Uber and Lyft are both going to offer everyone free rides to and from vaccination sites. I think that is really stepping up,”. 

“People will be able to simply select a vaccination site near them, follow simple directions to redeem their ride, and then get a ride to take them to and from a nearby vaccination site free of charge. The feature will launch in the next two weeks and run until July 4,” the White House said in a statement. “By helping Americans get a free ride to a vaccination site, Lyft and Uber are eliminating a potential barrier and driving America closer to the President’s goal of getting 70% of the U.S. adult population with at least one shot by July 4th.”

Additionally, to increase the amount of people vaccinated, the White House is creating partnerships and reaching out to the nation’s community colleges to expand the amount of vaccination sites in the country. The White House also said that he was going to make sure the colleges get the word out to staff and students along with the local community. Biden is also going to initiate extra funding to state, territorial, tribal, and local governments in order to increase the community engagement and to boost awareness of vaccine locations including texts, pop- up sites, and more partnerships. 

All of these efforts are to make the country 70% fully vaccinated by July 4th. As of now 58% of the country has at least one shot which is equal to about 153 million adults.