Florida Limiting Transgender Athletes from Playing on Women’s Sports Teams

Ava Lowery, Writer

By Ava Lowery

Just recently, republican lawmakers in Tallahassee, Florida suggest a bill that would soon ban transgender athletes (originally born as men) from playing on women’s sports teams and competing in women’s sports throughout schools and professional teams. These republican lawmakers proclaim that the uprightness of gender-specific opposition is at issue. Groups who support transgender rights declare that the future regulation will become a massive complication and problem, so they must and want to fight.

Gina Duncan states, “This is not about sports, this is about marginalizing and demonizing, the transgender community in all aspects of life,” as the director of transgender equality at the LGBTQ advocacy group Equality Florida.

There are at least 25 states, including Florida, this year are having conservative lawmakers who are proposing restrictions on transgender athletes from competing and attending to sports. There are lawmakers sponsoring two of the bills; Rep. Kaylee Tuck, R-Lake Placid, and Sen. Kelli Stargel, R-Lakeland, point to high-profile controversies over gender participation in sports. For instance, Stargel noted, the International Olympic Committee has rules that bar transgender women with high levels of testosterone from competing in women’s sports. 

Many people think that not including transgender athletes in competing is not right, and are protesting against these future laws. It is certainly not fair to the transgender athletes, and some are even considering to make transgender Olympics, high school and college competitions, and professional games.