Danica Patrick; Amazing Female Auto Racer

Emme Phillips, Writer

Have you ever noticed how the boys think they are superior to the girls in sports and strength. Well Danica Patrick has proved them wrong through auto racing. Although, she is one of many girls to defeat this rumor.

Danica Patrick was born on March 25th 1982 and is a famous race car driver. Her career began with driving and racing go karts when she was 10, she then began a career in auto racing after her success in national go kart driving. She left her high school back in Beloit Wisconsin and began racing Formula Fords and Vauxhalls in the United Kingdom around age 16. She won second place in the Formula Fords which was the highest ranking by an American. Patrick returned back to America in 2002 after getting her first Indy-car racing contracted signed by former driver Bobby Rahal. Brittanica states, “She was then promoted to Toyota Formula Atlantic open-wheel cars. Although she never won in that series, she finished third in the drivers’ overall ranking in 2004, which led to a chance to qualify for the Indianapolis 500.” When she first practiced at Indy in 2005 , her fastest practice race was 229.88 miles per hour but she was unable to complete that speed in a qualifying race. A few years later she became the first woman to lead the classic race and she eventually finished fourth.

Through her example girls can learn that they can do anything boys can do including car racing. Danica Patrick is still very well known and famous for her accomplishments. She was later voted most popular driver and named Rookie of the year.