Bud, Not Buddy

Bud, Not Buddy

Taylor Holthus, Writer

“Bud, Not Buddy”, is a cute, sad, and happy story. It is not my personal favorite but it does have some action in it. I would recommend it for 3rd, 4th and 5th grade students. It is a great book for anyone though. I would rate this book a 8/10 because it is really cute and happy although it makes you kind of upset about some of the scenes.

“Bud, Not Buddy” Is a short chapter about a young boy whose mother has died and now lives in an orphanage. Bud is taken care of by a new family who don’t enjoy him very much and lock him in a shed. Bud is stung by wasps that have made a nest in the shed and runs away, hoping to find his father (he thinks) that he has seen in some of his mothers old photos. Bud walks pretty far and is found by Mr. Lewis, an old man who is going to the exact place where Bud needs to go, Grand Rapids. When they make it, Bud finds the one man he has been looking for and finds his happy place with his “fathers band”. By the end, Bud has found out that his “father” is actually his grandfather.

Christopher Paul Curtis, the author of “Bud, Not Buddy” is the father of five and is an american children’s book author. He is best known for “Bud, Not Buddy” and “The Watsons Go To Birmingham” 

“Bud, Not Buddy” has won a couple of awards including, John Newbery Medal, Dorothy Canfield Children’s book award, Golden Kite Award for fiction, and Coretta Scott King award for authors. It deserves all of these awards because it is a great book.