Tips for Surviving a Lot of Homework

Itiah González, Writer

As an 8th grader, I recently learned what it is like to have an overload of schoolwork. Sometimes it can get overwhelming and it begins to interfere with your daily life. In this article, I will present a few techniques students can use to stay on track.

Plan Ahead

I find it helpful to maintain a weekly schedule of what I need to do, what I have done, and what I’m working on. It is important to keep a little free time open every day because you never know when you are going to receive an assignment. This is helpful to organize tasks as they come in.

Don’t Procrastinate

A really important part of getting work done efficiently is getting started right away. Once you are given the assignment, take a look at it, size it up and maybe even get started on it. Even working on it for a couple of minutes will make your life easier in the future. There’s no need to even write in full sentences, just get your ideas on the document and then come back to it later (or keep working on it). Then, when you come back to it later, you won’t have to start from scratch!

Give Yourself Incentives

One thing I do when I have an enormous project that seems impossible to finish (or even begin) is incentivizing myself by breaking up the task and associating a prize with the completion of each part. Some “prizes” that I use include: watching an episode of a TV show, having a treat, playing a video game, watching a video, etc. Using this method, I have gotten through some huge assignments without feeling completely overwhelmed.

Don’t Hesitate to Ask for Help

Asking for help may seem like giving up, but really it is just accepting that you aren’t omnificent and will occasionally need someone to assist you. Getting someone else’s perspective and opinion can make a big difference and even make you think a little deeper. I find that hearing from someone else always ties up the loose ends.