The NBA 2020 Draft: First Three Picks

The NBA 2020 Draft: First Three Picks

Jordyn Fulcher, Writer

Every year since April 25, 1950, there was the NBA draft, it has now been 70 years since the first draft. The 2020 draft was Wednesday, November 18th.  The first three picks Where  Anthony Edwards, drafted by the Timberwolves. James Wiseman, drafted by the Warriors. And LaMelo Ball, drafted by the Hornets.

Anthony Edwards

The Timberwolves went with Edwards, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard. He went to the University of Georgia averaging 19.1 points and 5.2 rebounds a game. Edwards was not the best perimeter shooter available in the draft — he shot just 29.4 percent from the college 3-point line — but he operated at Georgia with N.B.A.-level athleticism, manufacturing production at the rim.

James Wiseman

Wiseman was widely expected to be Golden State’s choice at No. 2. He is the most physically gifted big in the draft, with a huge wingspan of 7 foot 4. He went to the University of Memphis averaging 10.6 points per game and  10.7 rebounds. Working alongside Golden State should help maximize Wiseman early in his career, as he works to develop his jump shot and expand his skill set to become a more versatile scorer.

LaMelo Ball

LaMelo Ball was the Hornets pick. Ball did not go to college but he went to Lithuania when he was 16 to play pro basketball, He then came back to the U.S to get the senior year high school experience, after he went to Australia to play pro again, then entered the draft at the age of 19. LaMelo is a 6 foot 8 point guard. He averages 17.0 points per game, 6.8 assists per game, and 7.6 rebounds per game. LaMelo develops his jump shot while playing with the Hornets.

All the 3 of these players have worked very hard to get where they are now. But this is not even near the end they now have much to work on to become some of the best players