Francis Jacobs

Francis Jacobs

Will Beauregard, Writer

Francis Jacobs is the youngest person to sign for a professional soccer team. At only 14 years old Francis Jacobs signed to USL Championship club Orange County SC. Jacobs is from Laguna Beach, California. He was 14 years, four months and 29 days old when he signed his deal last month.

Due to his crazy talent at just 14 years old, bigger clubs were starting to show interest in him. And just a month later in november 2009 he signed a professional contract to Major League Soccer’s DC United Jacobs has been training with Orange County SC’s first team since May. He has trained at Bayer Leverkusen and Köln in Germany, but the midfielder is starting his pro career near his hometown. 

Even though Jacobs was just 14 he still was able to play soccer like one of the big players. “He trains in the morning with the club, then we go home and have lunch and he goes to high school in the afternoon.” Is what his mom said in an interview. Jacobs was committed to being the best player he could be working all day long. In An interview he describes this game he watched as a young kid he says this ““One of my first memories was watching South Africa in the first game of the World Cup there when they played Mexico,” The match was played on June 11, 2010. Jacobs, who was born on February 28, 2005, was five years old. As you can see at a young age he always liked to play soccer.

Some reasons why he is such a start is his physical structure and how strong he is. Goalkeeper Aaron Cervantes was signed last year as a 15-year-old. He has started 11 matches this season. He got in a good relationship with him both being under 16 and playing for a professional team. Now he plays a professional team as a midfielder or striker.