Speak: By Laurie Halse Anderson

Speak: By Laurie Halse Anderson

Zoey Holmquist-Kuhn, Writer

Melinda Sordino has no friends. Not after she called the police at a party. She skips school and hides in a closet. She knows her parents don’t love her, or each other. They only think about her grades. Melinda has even stopped talking, knowing that no one would ever listen. But then, in art class, Melinda’s teacher assigns a project in which each student must find a new way to speak. 

This story will make you feel deeply for the characters, you won’t be able to put the book down until the very end. The writing style and perspectives of the characters will allow you to collapse into the story. It has short chapters that make it good to pick up if you have little time, though you might get hooked. This story weaves through controversial topics such as bullying and depression and is therefore not the best choice for people under the age of 12. Anyone who is in middle or high school will connect with the environment and feelings flying through the character’s heads. This book can get you through a tough time while being entertained. If you are thinking about picking up this book, keep in mind that it is not a story that will make you happy or excited, it isn’t depressing but it will truly make you feel. Laurie Halse Anderson has once again crafted a deep and important novel that will keep you thinking even after the last page has turned.